Monday, January 19, 2009

Memorizing God's Word

Greetings to all who might stumble across my new blog.  It was only months ago that I discovered what the word "blog" means, and I am still not sure I know the accurate definition.  But at any rate, I hope to share my thoughts and musings about various topics that come up.  

I suppose many in our great land make resolutions at the beginning of the new year, and I am no exception.  I made the lofty goal for myself (at least for me it is) to memorize more of Scripture this year -- shooting for one new verse a day.  I know that may sound crazy to many, but can it really be that tough?  Well, here it is the 19th of January and I have somewhat memorized 16... so I'm not that far behind.

If you'd like to join me and write more of God's Word on your heart, here are my techniques.  Pick a subject... like humility, service, holiness, etc... and then find verses in the Bible that speak to your heart and that teach important things on that subject.  Write them down on 3x5 cards or a pocket-sized notebook.  

When memorizing, do this:  Read aloud the subject, the scripture reference, then the text, then again the scripture reference.  Do this 10 times.  Then try it without looking 10 times.  Then throughout the day try to recall it again.  Keep your notebook or a few of the cards with you at all times, so when you're in line somewhere, or put on hold on the phone, or stuck in traffic, you can work on your memory verses -- and hence, you can prepare your minds for action (see 1 Peter 1:13).  

Example:

"SERVICE, Mark 10:45, For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many, Mark 10:45."

I hope on Sundays (as one way of obeying God's 4th commandment) to review all the verses I've learned from the previous week.  And on the 1st Sunday of each month, review all other verses from weeks prior.  (I hope that made sense.)

Hope to hear from anyone who has taken this on before.  I'm always looking for advice on how to grow in holiness and respond appropriately to the grace that has been given me.  May this be an encouragement for you to do the same.

Till next time, may the grace, love, and fellowship of the Triune God be with you all.


No comments: